Thursday 20 September 2007

Why English?

You're Swedish, so why are you blogging in English mate?

The answer is simply that, strange as it may seem, I feel more comfortable when using a language (again, English) that's not my mother tongue. I can think of a couple of possible explanations why this is the case. One is simply that I'm a bit of an Anglophile when it comes to the written word, I've at this point read more literature in English than I have Swedish literature, and obviously familiarity breeds comfort.

Another reason is that using English seems to me a bit like stepping into a sanctuary: Switching language tends to make me see things, be it issues or emotions, in a different light. It's almost like I'm stepping away from what I believe I think and feel and go towards... A safe place where I can discover what I really think and feel. One could say that it adds a sense of perspective.

And of course there is that most of my Swedish friends can read a blog in English with no trouble at all, whereas people I've met over the glorious Internet would feel that attempting to read a blog in Swedish might be somewhat....intimidating.

Now I'm going to run off to my somewhat monotonous work, and to see another day slip away into that blurry place we call the past.

1 comment:

Olle said...

jag skulle också blogga på engelska om det inte vore för att man kan vara så himla mycket roligare på svenska om man är en bloggofil som jag är. dessutom tar jag inte till mig engelska bloggar på samma sätt som svenska. och nu ska jag nog inte blogga på ett bra tag. men det är en annan femma.